King's College London
Online Exhibitions
In the Beginning ...

Freemasons' Hall meeting

Wellington by George Hayter (1839)Wellington by George Hayter (1839)The scheme for a new London college was officially launched at a public meeting at Freemasons' Hall, Great Queen Street, on 21 June 1828.

The Duke of Wellington chaired the gathering; also present were many of the leading members of Church and State including the Archbishops of Canterbury, York and Armagh and seven other bishops.

Press reports described a noisy and excited audience.

The meeting unanimously approved the building of a new college providing instruction for young men and boys in literature, science, medicine and religion and morals.

Owing to royal patronage, it was further determined that this new institution should be entitled 'King's College, London' and a Provisional Committee was established to collect subscriptions, locate a suitable site for the erection of the buildings, draw up a set of regulations and petition for a charter, that was eventually granted by King George IV in August 1829.

ARCHIOS™ | Total time:0.1642 s | Source:cache