King's College London
Online Exhibitions
Coming to London
Home|Archives Exhibitions|Coming to London|Wider college|Evening classes - Civil Service instruction 

Evening classes - Civil Service instruction

photograph of large brick school with extensive porch on front and large arched window aboveFront of the Strand School, BrixtonThe practical and commercial purpose of King's was fully realised from around 1875 with the training of applicants to a Civil Service that had now been opened up more fully to competitive examination.

At its peak in 1896-97, it taught 1,500 young men - more than the total in the day college.

Women applicants for the Post Office were also admitted from 1881 and taught in the School classrooms in the basement. They were kept strictly separate from the other students and required to enter via the separate school entrance.

From 1892, a commercial day school was opened teaching surveyors, excise officials and telegraph operators.

When King's College School moved to Wimbledon in 1897, the commercial department, now rechristened the 'Strand School', was transferred to its basement premises.Ā  After a decade a separate building was provided in South London.

The department eventually became independent and moved out of King's to new premises in Holborn and Brixton on the eve of the First World War.

ARCHIOS™ | Total time:0.1787 s | Source:cache