King's College London
Online Exhibitions
Coming to London

Women in classes

==insert description of image=Women's Common Room 1930sWomen were well represented in journalism classes that began at King's in 1923 and in the teacher training courses of the Day Training Department that was opened in 1890.

The Department's founder was John William Adamson, succeeded by the Shakespearean scholar, John Dover Wilson. The curriculum was rigorous and thorough, including Latin, Old and Middle English.

One student during the late 1920s, Winifred Paramour, recalled the fearsome reputation of tutors such as Israel Gollancz, his lectures 'broad, deep, yet comprehensible and enjoyable; they revealed an enthusiasm that was infectious'.

Once women began to study in the Strand it took time for them to become integrated into the mainstream life of the College.

Women had their own common room that was located on 'A' corridor, and was equipped with chairs and tables, a gramophone player, newspapers, student pigeonholes and a small library.

ARCHIOS™ | Total time:0.2114 s | Source:cache