King's College London
Online Exhibitions
Student days

Health Science

Students in the School of Chiropody at Chelsea Polytechnic, 1930s (Ref: C/PH4/5)Students in the School of Chiropody at Chelsea Polytechnic, 1930s (Ref: C/PH4/5)Courses in chiropody and human physiology were the first at Chelsea to focus specifically on human health. From the early 1920's, following the popularity of lectures and demonstrations on the anatomy and physiology of the human foot, a six month course was arranged on the pathological conditions caused by faulty and ill-fitting footwear. The interest aroused in this, both from sellers of boots and shoes and makers of orthopaedic equipment, resulted in the opening of a Foot Clinic at Chelsea on one evening a week, with treatment given by former chiropody students.

In the first session around 380 patients were treated, and the institution of the Foot Clinic made it possible to arrange a complete course for the training of Chiropodists. The Chelsea School of Chiropody was established in 1927. It treated 3000 patients in 1928-29, and by 1937-38 was treating over 15,000 patients per year. Chiropody continued to thrive at Chelsea until 1957, when the future designation of the College was confined to the fields of Science and Technology and the School of Chiropody was transferred to Paddington Technical College.

Treatment at Chelsea School of Chiropody, 1930s (Ref: C/PH4/5) )Treatment at Chelsea School of Chiropody, 1930s (Ref: C/PH4/5) )During the late 1970's there were notable advances at Chelsea within the discipline of nursing and health care. A degree course in Nursing Studies was launched in 1977, consisting of 4 years of integrated study in which the academic side of Biological and Behavioural Sciences were linked with both laboratory work and professional training in hospital wards. Students graduated with a BSc in Nursing Studies and full professional state registration. The course led to rapid growth of the Department of Nursing Studies and the launch of a Nursing Education Research Unit.

Practical training of student nurses, c1980 (Ref: C/PH4/19)Practical training of student nurses, c1980 (Ref: C/PH4/19)This period in the College's history also swa the establishment of the Drug Control and Teaching Centre in 1978, in association with the Sports Council, which became the first human sports drug-testing laboratory outside of an Olympic Games. The need for such a centre had been emphasised during the controversy surrounding the Scottish Football Team at the World Cup and the College was by now becoming well-known for its expertise in this field. The opening was particularly timely, allowing the Centre to be utilised heavily by UK organisations in the run up to the 1980 Olympic Games in Moscow. The Centre went on to become a global success. Today the Drug Control Centre at King's is one of the world's foremost World Anti-Doping Agency accredited laboratories, with vast experience in successfully delivering analysis for major games.

The Centre is currently contracted to undertake the drug testing of athletes under the UK Sport Anti-Doping Testing Programme in the run up to the 2012 Olympic Games.

ARCHIOS™ | Total time:1.4615 s | Source:database