King's College London
Exhibitions & Galleries
Student days
Archives Exhibitions|Student days|Queen Elizabeth College|History of Queen Elizabeth College 

History of Queen Elizabeth College

Main Entrance to Queen Elizabeth College, 1953 (Ref: Q/PH3/63)Main Entrance to Queen Elizabeth College, 1953 (Ref: Q/PH3/63)The Women's Department of King's College London, first established as the Ladies' Department in 1885, was incorporated into the University of London as a distinct College in 1908 and renamed King's College for Women.

In 1915, however, the work of the College diverged as divinity, arts and science subjects were transferred back to King's College on the Strand.

The remaining home science and economics classes became the Household and Social Science Department, which was still part of King's College for Women, but now situated in new premises in Campden Hill, Kensington. The College achieved independence in 1928 as the newly styled King's College of Household and Social Science.

Specialising in nutritional, physical and biological sciences, the College was granted its Royal Charter in 1953 and renamed Queen Elizabeth College prior to its merger with King's College London in 1985.

Timeline

Significant events in the history of Queen Elizabeth College.

1908

King's College for Women inaugurated as an independent College within the University of London

1915

Household and Social Science Department, King's College for Women, opens at Campden Hill Road

07 October 1915

Kitchen at Campden Hill, Department of Household and Social Science, King's College for Women, c1918 (Ref: Q/PH3/14)
1920

Institution of the BSc in Household and Social Science

1928

The College becomes completely independent as King's College of Household and Social Science

03 July 1928

Junior and Senior Rowing Crews at King's College of Household and Social Science, 1928-29 (Ref: Q/PH1/20)
1936

Institution of Postgraduate Diploma in Dietetics

20 May 1936

Laboratory work, King's College of Household and Social Science, c. 1930 (Ref: Q/PH3/19)
1939

College evacuated to University College, Cardiff

King's College of Household and Social Science during evacuation to Cardiff, 1939-40 (Ref: Q/PH1/31)
1940

College relocated to Leicester

King's College of Household and Social Science during evacuation to Leicester, 1941-42 (Ref: Q/PH1/34)
1944

East Block severely damaged by bombing during Second World War

19 February 1944

War damage to East Block of Main Building, 19 February 1944 (Ref: Q/PH2/1)
1946

College returns to Campden Hill and post-war reconstruction commences

08 October 1946

New East Facade, 1953 (Ref: Q/PH3/69)
1948

Freehold of College Buildings acquired in addition to Holly Lodge and Thornwood Lodge

Front view of Holly Lodge, c. 1966 (Ref: Q/PH3/144)
1953

Royal Charter granted and name changed to Queen Elizabeth College

12 January 1953

Crest of Queen Elizabeth College

Male students first admitted to the College

Laboratory, 1950s (Ref: Q/PH3/53)

BSc (Nutrition) and BSc (Household Science) introduced

East Wing reopened by Her Royal Highness Princess Alice

20 October 1953

Princess Alice opens war damaged buildings, 1953 (Ref: Q/PH2/5)
1955

First visit to the College by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother

22 June 1955

Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother at the unveiling of her portrait, 1955 (Ref: Q/PH2/11)
1956

College recognised as a School of the University of London

Laboratory research at Queen Elizabeth College, 1960s (Ref: Q/PH3/46-67)
1958

College celebrates its Golden Jubilee

30 April 1958

Queen Mother arrives for Jubilee celebrations, 1958 (Ref: Q/PH2/28)
1959

Sir John Atkins lays the foundation stone of the Sir John Atkins Laboratories

24 June 1959

Laying the foundation stone for the Sir John Atkins laboratories, 1959 (Ref: Q/PH2/43)
1985

College formally merged with Chelsea and King's Colleges

01 August 1985

K-PH1-1-3
ARCHIOS™ | Total time:1.5115 s | Source:database