Gallery: 41 imagesTravels Of A Naval Officer Volume 3:
Gurner, V G
Another album of photographs belonging to Rear-Admiral Victor Gallafent Gurner mainly features Royal Navy ships, including several cruisers and battleships, during the period c 1890-1920.
The ships are, with one or two exceptions, depicted in home waters, including Spithead and Devonport.
The album also includes photographs of buildings including the Staff College, Camberley and College at Greenwich, and of Hong Kong, including The Peak and Dockyard.
The series is a vivid snapshot of the Royal Navy – and British Empire - at the height of their power and pomp.
Hong Kong, Whitehall, Spithead, Devonport, Greenwich
Terms & Categories
- War/Campaign/Operation: World War One (1914-1918)
- Region: Asia
- Region: Europe
- Theme (Main): Daily Life
- Theme (Main): History of Photography
- Theme (Main): Travel & Exploration
- Subject: Naval, Sea & Ships
- Subject: Peacekeeping
- Subject: Sport & Recreation
- Item: Photographic (album)
- Item: Photographic (loose)
- Information: Memoir/Biography