Guy's Hospital & Medical School
The records of war dead published here record both the staff and students of Guy's Hospital and its Medical School to have died during twentieth century conflict. Many of their names are recorded on a Portland stone memorial arch designed by William Walford, which was unveiled by the Duke of York in July 1921, and which now sits in the Memorial Park at the heart of King's College's Guy's Campus. The College's principal remembrance service is held here annually on Armistice Day.
Guy's Hospital was founded in 1725 by the bookseller, Thomas Guy. Teaching of medical students was shared with neighbouring St Thomas' Hospital until 1825, when Guy's Medical School became independent. Dental teaching was added to the curriculum from 1889 when a new dental school was opened. The Medical School remained associated with Guy's Hospital until the foundation of the NHS in 1948 when it became a separate legal entity. It merged with St Thomas' Medical School in 1983 and with King's College in 1998.
The list is drawn from collections held in King's College London Archives, which inherited the records of Guy's Medical School when it joined King's in 1998, and from other sources including records held by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.