King's College London
King's College London was founded in 1829 and opened its doors in the Strand to new students in 1831. Ten years' later King's College Hospital opened in nearby Portugal Street, providing healthcare to local people and the opportunity for clinical practice by King's medical students. The two separated in 1909, when the Medical School also became independent, but pre-clinical teaching of medical sciences remained the responsibility of the College.
The inter-relationship between the institutions means that it is often difficult to separate out King's College, King's College Hospital and Medical School students and staff and for the purposes of this project the names have been combined into a single list.
King's war dead of the two World Wars are honoured in two memorials spanning the entrance to the College Chapel on the Strand Campus. The memorials are incomplete: one aim of this project has been to uncover the names of students and staff overlooked the first time around. 38 additional names have been discovered so far, which will be commemorated in the unveiling of a new plaque in the near future. The College has also suffered losses in other conflicts including recent operations and it is hoped that their names will be added here soon.
This list provides vital background information on students and staff drawn from records held in the College Archives including their courses and dates of study, their service careers and the dates and circumstances of death, and any medals or awards that they received. Obituaries published in College magazines or other sources are reproduced where possible and published sources such as the records of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission or London Gazette are cited throughout. First World War dead are accompanied by individual photographs; conversely, few photographs are recorded for Second World War veterans.