St Thomas' Hospital
The modern St Thomas' Hospital was opened in 1871 on London's South Bank, opposite the Houses of Parliament. The Hospital educated large numbers of medical students and student nurses (the Hospital was chosen by Florence Nightingale as a nurse training establishment) until the foundation of the National Health Service in 1948, when the medical school was granted independence under the auspices of the University of London.
It later merged with Guy's Hospital Medical School in 1982 and with King's College London in 1998 to form one of the largest medical and dental schools in Europe. This complex administrative history sometimes makes it difficult to distinguish between staff and students of the medical school and Hospital and for the purposes of this project the names of the war dead have been combined.
Monuments to the war dead at St Thomas' include medical students killed in both World Wars and to the victims of bombing inflicted on the Hospital during World War Two. Research on St Thomas' war dead is on-going - please visit the website regularly for fresh biographical information.